Lamb Burger with Artichokes & Truffles – A Burger Fit for a King and/or Queen!
I know I’ve told you just how much I love lamb… But I don’t think I’ve mentioned how much I love truffles.
I’m not talking about chocolate truffles (even though those are nice too). I’m talking about the delicious earthy type that grows in only certain regions with very specific climatic conditions. Deep and rich with a scent that will literally fill up a room if not your whole house.
I love truffles so much I wanted to have my wedding a few months after my husband proposed just so I could take advantage of the autumn/ winter truffle season. (My husband eventually convinced me that giving ourselves just about 3 months to plan a destination wedding just so I could have fresh truffles as part of the meal was not a very good idea. Especially since we had people coming from across the Atlantic).
Fortunately, since then the hubby has been filling me up with truffle goodies cause he knows it makes me happy. Fresh white truffle from Urbani Tartufi for my birthday. And then a few weeks later he came home with truffle pasta, white truffle butter, and truffle artichoke spread. Fortunately it took a while to work through the bag of deliciousness.
We started experimenting with various ways of using the ingredients and this was one of my favorites (because like I said before, it combines two of my utmost food loves… actually three of my loves, this recipe has fresh artichokes too!).
This “lamburger” of goodness is fairly easy to make but because of the sexiness, uniqueness, slightly out of the ordinary nature of some of the ingredients I’d say it’s fit for a king or queen (like you and me ;-)).
Lamb Burger with Artichokes and Truffles
2 (0.37lb/ 170g each) lamb burgers patties*
2 slices of Asiago cheese
2 rolls (wide enough to hold your burger patties)
4 tbsp artichoke and truffle spread, (I used the Urbani Tartufi brand)
2 sauteed fresh artichokes or artichoke hearts packed in olive oil
1 tbsp olive oil (optional)
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Sauteed Fresh Artichokes
2 fresh artichokes
1 clove of garlic
1/2 cup of dry white wine
1.5 tbsp olive oil
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
*I’ll let you guys decide if you want to make your own patties, or purchase them pre-formed. This hamburger is also fabulous with a beef patty.
Serves: 2 – Total Cook Time: approx. 30-40 minutes
1. Fill a medium sized bowl with 1/4 cup of wine (or juice of half a lemon) and about 3-4 cups of water. Clean artichokes removing tough outer leaves, hard part of stem, and choke. Cut the artichoke hearts into medium sized slices and place artichokes in bowl with wine/water to prevent them from turning brown as you work.
2. Heat a medium sized pan (that has a lid) with 1.5 tbsp olive oil and garlic clove on medium heat. Cook garlic clove until it starts to soften (about 3-5minutes). Add sliced artichokes and remaining 1/4 wine. Cook until wine has evaporated out (2-3 minutes). Add 1/4 cup of water, salt and freshly ground pepper to pan with artichoke. Cover and cook artichokes for about 15 minutes still on medium until tender.
If you’re using artichoke hearts packed in olive oil.
1. Drain 2 artichoke hearts. Cut into a few slices and let it come to room temperature. (You don’t want cold artichokes on your warm burger.)
1. Rub a bit of olive oil on grill. Add room temperature patties onto hot grill. Cook for about 4 minutes per side until it reaches the desired doneness. Remove cooked patties from grill onto a plate. Top each with a slice of cheese.
2. Slice rolls into two. Place slices on grill for about a minute.
1. Rub about 1tbsp of cream of artichoke and truffles on each side of bread. Place cooked patty on bottom slice of bread. Place cooked artichokes on top of patty with cheese. Add other half of roll on top of everything. Plate burger with a bit of mixed green salad.
2. Step back look at your masterpiece. Then take a huge bite into the sandwich!
Feed your Love!