Hidden Strawberry Cupcakes with Strawberry Mascarpone Frosting
Twelve little strawberry packages of joy.
These cupcakes are simple and lovely to look at. Plus they’re filled with fresh strawberries, which is a pleasant little surprise.
Have your cupcake and eat it too!
Hidden Strawberry Cupcakes
1 3/4 cup of flour
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
2 large organic eggs, room temperature
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup organic whole milk
1/2 tsp fine salt
2 tbsp strawberry jam (like Rigoni di Asiago), room temperature
12 small strawberries, hulled*
Makes: 12 regular sized cupcakes – Total time: approx. 1 hr and 15 minutes
1. Preheat oven to 180ºC (350ºF). Line 12 standard muffin cups with paper liners, set aside.
2. In a medium sized bowl mix together flour, salt, and baking powder. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl cream together sugar and butter until smooth. Mix in eggs on at a time until incorporated. Next mix in milk and vanilla. Finally mix in flour mixture.
4. Pour 1 heaping tbsp of batter into all 12 muffin cups. Pour 1/2 tsp jam into each cup, and place strawberry, wide side down on top of jam. Spoon another heaping tbsp of batter directly on top of strawberry. No need to spread evenly, it will do so naturally once in oven. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until lightly tanned in color. Cool completely before frosting.
Strawberry Mascarpone Frosting
9 oz (about 250 g) mascarpone (2 tbsp set aside), room temperature
2 oz (55 g) butter, room temperature
1 1/3 cup powdered sugar
3 tbsp strawberry jam (preferably Rigoni di Asiago), room temperature
6 medium sized fresh strawberries, hulled
1. Slice strawberries top to bottom into 4-5 pieces, set aside.
2. In a small bowl, mix together 2 tbsp of mascarpone, and strawberry jam. Set aside.
3. In a medium sized bowl whip together remaining mascarpone, butter, and sugar until fluffy. (about 3 minutes with electric mixer). Whip in jam mixture. Refrigerate at least 15 minutes, and until ready to frost cupcakes.
4. Decorate cooled cupcakes with frosting. Top with a few slices of fresh strawberries
*Instead of 12 small strawberries, you can also use 6 medium sized cupcakes cut into two…